Or listen on: iTunes| Stitcher| Spotify| Google Play| Download
Dorie Clark is a best-selling author, professional speaker, professor, jazz music and documentary film producer, and occasional stand-up comedian. Described by The New York Times as an “expert at self-reinvention and helping others make changes in their lives,” she has made a name for herself by doing just that. After graduating from Smith College with honors at the age of 18, she then enrolled in a Master’s program at Harvard Divinity School. The next step was obvious, to become a campaign spokesperson for a presidential candidate, and she has continued on this path of reinvention ever since, often as a sought-after speaker and consultant for various corporations and conference events.
Her breakout book, Stand Out: How To Find Your Breakthrough Idea and Build a Following Around It, was named Inc. magazine’s #1 business book of 2015. She has gone on to author two more, Reinventing You: Define Your Brand, Imagine Your Future and Entrepreneurial You: Monetize Your Expertise, Create Multiple Income Streams, and Thrive. A recent nominee for the Thinkers50 2019 Global Ranking, her insights and opinions are valued internationally, not only because of her platform and notoriety, but because they are just that good and full of depth and quality.
What You’ll Learn About Writing This Week:
- How your earliest audience will come from your community
- Why you need to reframe your mindset so you can find the wins and successes in your work
- Why reinvention is sometimes mandatory
- How to get your words (and name) out there by making connections with others
- What it’s like to coach other writers, entrepreneurs, and leaders
- When reinvention can come out of both good and bad things
- The reality of diving into podcasting and content creation
- How “just checking in” is not just a phrase commonly used by editors—it’s also a writer thing
- How perseverance is often the only way to get through
Mentioned in This Episode (Links and Resources!):
You Can Find More of Dorie and Her Writing On:
Shareable Quotes From This Episode:
Elisa Doucette is a writer and editor who works with professional writers, entrepreneurs, and brands that want to make their own words even better. She is the Founder of Craft Your Content, and oversees Client Strategy and Writing Coaching. Her own writing has been featured in places like Forbes, The New York Times, The Boston Globe, Yahoo! Small Business, and The Huffington Post, among others. She also hosts the Writers' Rough Drafts podcast here on CYC. When she isn't writing, editing, or reading words, she can usually be found at a local pub quiz, deep in a sun salutation, or binging TV shows for concept ideas and laughs.